The Vinyl Vault: August 18, 2020
This has been quite an interesting weather pattern in the DC area this past week. A lot of cooler weather (relatively speaking). A bit too much rain, which I don't like, but I'm loving the cooler weather. It reminds me that my fave season is about to start. Autumn, I can't wait for you to get here!
Independent record stores are beginning to prepare their stores for the first Record Store Day drop, which if you are unfamiliar, is a wonderful day where special limited edition pressings and early releases are made available at participating independent record stores only. There is a list online at recordstoreday.com, so make sure you check it out. There are a lot of rules around it that each store must follow, it is first come first served and you generally can't purchase multiples in the same day. Making prep particularly challenging this year is validating that proper safety measures are in place to nurture a safe space where we can shop with minimal risk. Not all stores will be able to accommodate this, so make sure you reach out to your local independent record store or reference their website to see how they will proceed. I will be posting the Crooked Beat protocols on our landing page this week but meanwhile, here is the article.
Remember - you can't get these titles at Walmart, Target, Barnes & Noble, or Amazon. Only participating indie record stores, worldwide.
This week's new additions to the Vault were light this past week. I purchased the newest Fontaines D.C. album, "A Heroes Death" and I recieved the new Black Market Brass album, "Undying Thirst." I have three new titles in the mail, Bright Eye's newest album and two singles from Sub-Pop by Guerrilla Toss and Father John Misty. So much good music!!
This week, we are featuring new music from JARV IS..., Brother Theotis Taylor, Built To Spill, Jason Molina, Lithics, and Khruangbin. We are also featuring a new compilation of music by Sleaford Mods. New compilation albums from Numero Group (Louis Wayne Moody High) and Mississippi Records (I Believe I'll Go Home) are also in the mix.
I hope you love it! - JC
- Duane Eddy - Rebel Rouser // Tarantino Experience
- John Lee Hooker - Boom Boom // D'oes Crazy Oldies
- The Pogues - Dirty Old Town // Rum Sodomy & The Lash
- David Bowie - Ziggy Stardust // ChangesOneBowie
- Ted Leo and The Pharmacists - North Coast // The Oldest House (7" Single)
- Vanilla Fudge - You Keep Me Hangin' On // You Keep Me Hangin' On (7" Single)
- Empire - Safety // Expensive Sound
- The Teen Idles - Get Up And Go // Four Old Seven Inches on a Twelve Inch
- Eddy Current Suppression Ring - We Got The Beat // Trouble in Mind 2011 Covers EP (7" EP)
- XTC - No Thugs In Our House // English Settlement
- Amyl and The Sniffers - GFY // Amyl and The Sniffers
- JARV IS... - House Music All Night Long // Beyond The Pale
- Brother Theotis Taylor - Stand By Me // Brother Theotis Taylor
- Built To Spill - Impossible Love // Built To Spill Plays the Songs of Daniel Johnston
- The Chayns - See It Through // Louis Wayne Moody High
- Gil Scott-Heron - The Crutch // I'm New Here
- DEVO - Smart Patrol / Mr. DNA // Live in 1980
- Lydia Mendoza - Mal Hombre // I Believe I'll Go Home
- Jason Molina - Whisper Away // Eight Gates
- Lithics - Twisting Vine // Tower of Age
- Sleaford Mods - McFlurry // All That Glue
- The Who - You're Gonna Know Me // My Generation (7" EP, French Pressing)
- The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Purple Haze // Are You Experienced
- Jonathan Fire*Eater - When The Curtain Calls For You // Wolf Songs For Lambs
- Insurgence D.C. - This Is England // Recutting the Crap, Vol 2
- Fugazi - Break-In // First Demo
- Hammered Hulls - Looking After You // Hammered Hulls (7" EP)
- Elvis Costello & The Attractions - Miracle Man // Stiffs Live
- Nurses - Cardiac Arrest // Hearts/Cardiac Arrest (7" Single)
- The Evens - You Won't Feel A Thing // The Evens
- R.E.M. - Fall On Me // Life's Rich Pageant
- Soccer Team - Problems With Prolonged Youth // Real Lessons in Cynicism
- The Undergrounds - Savito // Trojan Records Mento & Calypso Vol. 1
- Khruangbin - If There Is No Question // Mordechai